uggabugga





Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Facebook UI for privacy:

I always said it was overly complex. Here's an visual overview and a writeup.

THE FACEBOOK TROJAN HORSE: (from the New York Times graphic)
When I looked at my settings, virtually every item was checked (they are now all unchecked). If you leave them checked, all it takes is having one Friend and from there, pretty much everything about you on Facebook could be harvested.

That page (above) is under Applications and Websites, which isn't exactly something people are going to have a good understanding of.

The Times article also has this:
Even if a user changes all the settings on the privacy section of the site, certain pieces of information will still be shared across the site unless a user takes further action. For example, under the Account Settings option, in the Facebook Ads tab, two options are automatically turned on to share some information with advertising networks and friends. Anyone who wants to keep this information private must uncheck the boxes in that tab.
And here is part of what's on that page: (emp add)
Ads shown by third party applications

Facebook does not give third party applications or ad networks the right to use your name or picture in ads. If this is allowed in the future, this setting will govern the usage of your information.
My guess is that some brainiac thought that there would come a time when a Friend of yours is on Facebook and, lo and behold, there's an ad to the right with your picture in it. (Or maybe not just your Friends, but the whole Internet. How about that?)

I wouldn't be surprised people flee Facebook for a rival in the next couple of years.



2 comments

Thanks for posting this. I just changed all my settings. I've only been on Facebook since last November, but they've made so many stupid changes since then that I'm just about ready to delete my account. About all I use it for is chatting with friends.

By Anonymous Screamin' Demon, at 5/13/2010 7:52 AM  

Thanks for the heads up. My daughter is graduating from college and trying to get a beginning teaching job is hard enough already. Do not need a questionable Facebook picture from the good old days blowing her out of the water. Also like people from my generation creeping on the kids and then telling their parents they saw OMG inappropriate pictures. Jerkwads all.

By Anonymous Mart, at 5/13/2010 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment