uggabugga





Thursday, October 15, 2009

What's with the crappy user interface at Facebook?

In my personal capacity (i.e not as "Quiddity") I log in to Facebook.

Someone wants to be a Friend so I shoot out an "Add a friend".

Facebook demands a Captcha check. That seems unnecessary since I've already logged in, but okay.

Then a pop-up with this:
Confirm Your Phone

Facebook uses security tests to ensure that the people on the site are real. Having a mobile phone helps us establish your identity. Please verify your account by confirming your phone here. We'll text you a confirmation code.
Facebook does not have my land line or cellphone because I don't want to disclose it, yet here is a message that implies that I have to enter my cellphone in order to complete the action. Also, I don't want Facebook texting me under any circumstances.

I refuse to join the Borg. At least not completely.

CODA: The overall user experience at Facebook is cramped, obscure, with too many junky "maybe this is of interest to you" or "someone-I've-never-heard-of-would-like-to-contact" elements. Is Facebook really that much fun for others? Am I missing something here?



6 comments

I only recently joined and am mostly enjoying it. Old (I mean o-l-d) friends are starting to show up and that's cool. I completely ignore people I don't know and the commercial come-ons. If it becomes burdensome, I'll leave.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2009 7:27 PM  

Join my mafia?

=)

(coincidentally, to comment here, I must enter a capcha)

By Blogger PsuedoNoise, at 10/15/2009 9:30 PM  

It's main value is in being a more-casual-than-email way of contacting people. You can chatter with old friends over amusing posts or observations that would not warrant a phone call or email.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/16/2009 7:23 AM  

I've never had that happen, I send a friend request and it says ok. Maybe there's some reason they suspect your account (too many friend requests in a certain time period?)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/16/2009 8:33 AM  

Once you collect all of your family and friends (like baseball cards) as Facebook friends, you'll either post hourly status updates or more-or-less ignore Facebook. That's seems like the pattern for adults AFAIK.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/18/2009 6:46 PM  

Can someone shoot me now?

Did someone or ones really go on line insisting that Quiddity simply comply with invasive requests for lucrative pieces of personal information but them selves post as anonymous?

Who broke my snark meter?

Signed, don't call me Bruce Webb. In fact I am the REAL Anonymous!! (a no-shit claim I saw made on Rising Hegemon nine years ago)

By Blogger Bruce Webb, at 10/20/2009 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment