uggabugga





Friday, September 11, 2009

Off topic:

Don't upgrade to FireFox 3.5. It's unstable. Why they are promoting a switch is puzzling.

The user interface for Adobe Acrobat 9 editor (not the reader) is worse than Microsoft's Word 97. Has to do what you see on pull-down menus and the lack of choices "above" the set value (necessitating moving the scroll button each time). How this terrible UI got past Q/A is a mystery. But then, Microsoft's Office 2007 has a crappy UI.

UPDATE: FWIW, FireFox 3.0.whatever frequently went into massive memory suck when accessing Yahoo mail (on Windows XP), so I upgraded to FF3.5, but that was crashing on a variety of webpages, thus the rollback. I'm aware that FF works fine on different platforms, but my situation is pretty spare (one plugin and one enhancement for bookmarking).

Root cause? While browsers should be robust, they do have to deal with all sorts of web content, and that's a challenge. What is the problem is poor website design. With Yahoo Mail, for example, (and I'm using the old Classic view), it should be a simple set of HTML tables with text listing what's in my Inbox. But something more is happening, for reasons unknown, and that triggers a browser failure. Problems with Yahoo Mail on FireFox have been reported, so it's not something unique to me.



10 comments

Thanks. Come to think of it, Firefox 3.0.1 is glitchy on my Mac. If I put the computer to sleep, then return to it, Firefox works about five minutes, then freezes the whole computer.

By Blogger Emphyrio, at 9/11/2009 8:42 AM  

Upgraded to 3.5 on my Mac (OS 10.5.7) three or four weeks ago. No problems whatsoever. Love the way some people think that if a particular program doesn't work on their computer, it's not going to work on anyone else's, either.

By Anonymous Screamin' Demon, at 9/11/2009 8:51 AM  

Just a "me too". Endless problems so far.

Love the way some people think that if a particular program works on their computer it must be fine on everyone else's.

By Blogger PsuedoNoise, at 9/11/2009 10:20 AM  

No problem on Windows on two puters.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/11/2009 11:45 AM  

Is your [herbal] bookmark enhancement XMarks? I use Xmarks and, on a slower machine, it eats up all Firefox's energy while it syncs .

Not noticeable on my newish desktop, but a real showstopper on my old laptop. Antivirus software is the same, almost freezing the machine while it updates.

My workaround is turning the machine on, firing up Firefox and going for coffee. Or using another browser until the syncing is done.

It's like 1997.

By Blogger JeffKay, at 9/11/2009 1:03 PM  

I commented above bout using it on Windows on two puters. I'm using XP. I have to agree Yahoo Mail is sucking more and more by the second.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/11/2009 2:54 PM  

I use FF3.5 as my main browser, and chrome and IE regularly. It seems stable to me.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/11/2009 3:48 PM  

I actually went back to Safari several months ago because the history was missing.
check out my new video: Purpose of the 9/11 Attacks

By Blogger Tom, at 9/11/2009 5:56 PM  

Anon (and others): I'm not using XMarks (at least I don't think so). I'm using something that makes the bookmarks UI larger (instead of that tiny box that requires substantial scrolling). Is that a plugin? Who knows? The Plugin list on FF is lame, since there is no "what is this particular plugin doing" display. The Mozilla people better get their act together. Their forums are a mess. Finding answers (or even old FF versions is not crisp).

As to Yahoo Mail, it does appear that when you go there you had better not touch anything for 30 seconds or so, which allows the browser to "settle down" and not fail when clicking to view a particular email. JeffKw: It does look as if some sort of syncing is taking place, but that is not good design, in my opinion. The server should get all the data and ship it out. This "callback" that I've seen (and examined code for) is way wrong. It's a hybrid design where parts of the page are displayed and other parts are (typically) a database call. You see that in the Washington Post comments pages. I hate it.

By Blogger Quiddity, at 9/11/2009 8:19 PM  

Wow, I guess I'd better stay with my Macintosh then...

I've only had one since 1984, so, maybe I'm not as intune with search functions in the various Windows versions.

Firefox 3.5.3 works here, although not nearly as well as Safari... Maybe it's just me.

By Anonymous Lettuce, at 9/12/2009 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment