Anybody read Maureen Dowd anymore?
During the Bush administration, every so often she'd bring out a new fact or so. But now, it's all limning of characters with stale metaphors (e.g. Obama as Mr. Spock
). Uninteresting and boring, with writing that can irritate: Bush is either "W" or "43". Recently there was a column
about bankers partying. Out of 806 words, nearly 500 were about Cheryl Crow at a Northern Trust gig (Dowd: Northern Untrustworthy). Check out this filler text:
- The entertainment Web site TMZ broke the story Tuesday that ...
- ... four days of posh hotel rooms, salmon and filet mignon dinners, music concerts, a PGA golf tournament at the Riviera Country Club with Mercedes shuttle rides and Tiffany swag bags.
- ... lavish dinner at the Ritz Carlton on Wednesday with a concert by Chicago (at a $100,000 fee); rented a private hangar at the Santa Monica Airport on Thursday for another big dinner with a gig by Earth, Wind & Fire, and closed down the House of Blues on Sunset Strip on Saturday (at a cost of $50,000) for a dinner and serenade by Sheryl Crow.
- Crow — in her stint as a federal employee — warbled these lyrics to the oblivious revelers:
“Slow down, you’re gonna crash,
Baby, you’re a-screaming it’s a blast, blast, blast
Look out babe, you’ve got your blinders on ...
But there’s a new cat in town
He’s got high payin’ friends
Thinks he’s gonna change history.”
- ... had raised $3 million for the Los Angeles Junior Chamber of Commerce Charity Foundation and other nonprofits.
"And other nonprofits"! Are you better informed now?.
That's way too much copy/paste of a wire report to be in an opinion piece. No wonder reading her is a chore. Dowd has really lost her way.
She ends up citing her sources a little more than she needs to because the haters jump on her real quick if she doesn't.
I found the Sheryl Crow lyrics she used delightfully ironic. I even used more of that same song in my post on the same column.
Give a "Howdy" to Rowdy Dowdy, who should be eating Crow rather than quoting her. The Big Mo for MoDo's constipated journalism needs fiber, more fiber.