Monday, June 16, 2008

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days:

Marc Cooper puts it in words:
I had met Russert a couple of times - twice out in Iowa during this or that year's presidential caucus. And he seemed nice enough of a fellow. In fact, after reading his memoir, I had acquired a certain amount of personal sympathy for him. Though he deftly cashed in on his taciturn dad, Big Russ, and celebrated him as a man who placed the values of "responsibility and accountability" over those of affection and nurturing, I began to see Russert as the victim of a childhood shadowed by an emotionally stunted father. What, in the end, is their to celebrate about a father who can't bring himself to say "I Love You" to his boy until that son is 54 year old man? Brrrr.


odd to me was all the anecdotes cited that involved his son drinking.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/17/2008 11:30 PM  

Post a Comment