uggabugga





Friday, January 25, 2008

"Wow" is an understatement:

From TAPPED:
BREAKING: CLINTON SUPPORTS SEATING OF FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN DELEGATES AT CONVENTION.

Wow. This just, well, shows a complete disregard for the agreed-upon rules of the primary process. The campaign's statement:
I hear all the time from people in Florida and Michigan that they want their voices heard in selecting the Democratic nominee.

I believe our nominee will need the enthusiastic support of Democrats in these states to win the general election, and so I will ask my Democratic convention delegates to support seating the delegations from Florida and Michigan. I know not all of my delegates will do so and I fully respect that decision. But I hope to be President of all 50 states and U.S. territories, and that we have all 50 states represented and counted at the Democratic convention.

I hope my fellow potential nominees will join me in this.

I will of course be following the no-campaigning pledge that I signed, and expect others will as well.
Nice. Only Hillary Clinton was on the Michigan ballot. Other candidates were not, since there was an agreement not to count Michigan because it was holding a primary at a date not sanctioned by the Democratic party.

In that Michigan primary, Clinton won 73 delegates. The other "candidate", Uncommitted, won 55 delegates. But that's not a fair assessment of Michigan sympathies for many reasons.

A post at Kos says:
She makes this move AFTER Michigan has voted to give her and only her delegates. Four days before Florida, when it would be too late for anything to change what would be an inevitable, name recognition-based landslide.
Whatever you think about them, the Nevada caucus rules and the national primary rules were approved by the Democratic party. The time to challenge those rules is not days before an election or after a unsanctioned primary.

If this is how Hillary treats promises within the Democratic party, what confidence do you have that she will honor promises made to you?

If the Clintons prevail, expect Howard Dean to be out and Terry McAuliffe back in.



0 comments

Post a Comment