Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Huckabee is playing the Christ Card:
In an early report
Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, asks in an upcoming [New York Times Magazine] article, "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"
- Huckabee knows he's being wildly inpolitic. It's on a par with asking if Baptists handle snakes on weekends or if Jews have horns. (See the Weekly Standard for other crude stereotypes.)
- The consensus will be that Huckabee, a Baptist minister who brandishes his religious schooling, is lying when he proclaims ignorance about Mormon doctrine.
- This will piss off the Republican moneyed interests. Expect someone, probably McCain or Guiliani, to get some quick cash to counter the Huck.
- Isn't Huckabee beginning to sound a lot like Pat Robertson? (e.g. on AIDS, women submitting to men)
- Looks like this quote about "Jesus and the devil" being brothers will be around a long time. Great fodder for political cartoonists.