uggabugga





Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The protector:

About Bush's Monday speech defending the Iraq War, Digby remarks:
He has said that his job is "to protect you" about 50 times. Does anyone find this paternalistic "I will protect you" stuff as creepy as I do?
Wrong, Digby! Bush only mentioned protect (and its variants) sixteen times - and of those, a mere eight times in reference to the terrorists/Iraq (bold below):

         
  • ... coalition and Iraqi forces [are] coming to protect [the citizens of Tal Afar]
  • ... the operation accomplished all this while protecting innocent civilians and inflicting minimal damage on the city.
  • I vowed after September the 11th, that I would do everything I could to protect the American people.
  • ... I also understand my most important job, the most important job of any President today, and I predict down the road, is to protect America.
  • Foreign policy used to be dictated by the fact we had two oceans protecting us.
  • My most important job is to protect you, is to protect the American people.
  • ... we will use military might to protect our ally, Israel ...
  • ... how do we deal with threats before they fully materialize; what do we do to protect us from harm? That's my job.
  • ... I think about my job of protecting you every day -- every single day of the presidency ...
  • [my] job ... is to protect the American people
  • [Sunnis wonder] whether or not they'd be protected.
  • ... when you grow your economy, like we're growing our economy, there is an opportunity to not only protect ourselves [from economic threats]
  • ... my most important job, which is to protect you.
  • ... one good way to do so, and to protect the environment at the same time, is to encourage the use of safe nuclear power.
  • [referring to the NSA] ... after September the 11th, I spoke to a variety of folks on the front line of protecting us ...
  • ... How do we protect our borders ...?
This from a guy who, when alerted that Bin Laden was determined to strike the U.S., ignored the warning and took a month-long vacation.


[BTW, Bush's 'protector act' worked to some degree. Here is what one questioner said at the occasion: "Mr. President, I just finished Ambassador Paul Bremer's book, and one of the things I just wanted to say to you and to Ambassador Bremer is thank you for protecting us."]



1 comments

Michael: Don't you know that that's an impossibility -- that that could never happen. That I would use all my power to keep something like that from happening -- don't you know that?
- Godfather II

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/22/2006 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment