uggabugga





Sunday, December 19, 2004

Sing a song of sadness:

Yahoos news: Rumsfeld to Sign Condolence Letters Himself: (excerpts)
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld will now personally sign letters of condolence to families of troops killed in action, after the Pentagon acknowledged signing machines had been used in the past.

[Rumsfeld said,] "While I have not individually signed each one, in the interest of ensuring expeditious contact with grieving family members, I have directed that in the future I sign each letter."

Military families told the newspaper the autopen-signed letters reflected a lack of respect for the losses the families had suffered.
From Pink Floyd's When The Tigers Broke Free:
[...]
And the Anzio bridgehead
Was held for the price
Of a few hundred ordinary lives.

And old King George
Sent Mother a note
When he heard that father was gone.
It was, I recall,
In the form of a scroll,
With gold leaf and all.
And I found it one day
In a drawer of old photographs, hidden away.
And my eyes still grow damp to remember
His Majesty signed
With his own rubber stamp.


3 comments

History recalls how great the fall can be
While everybody's sleeping, the boats put out to sea
Borne on the wings of time
It seemed the answers were so easy to find
"To late," the prophets (profits) cry
The island's sinking, let's take to the sky
Called the man a fool, striped him of his pride
Everyone was laughing up until the day he died
And though the wound went deep
Still he's calling us out of our sleep
My friends, we're not alone
He waits in silence to lead us all home
So tell me that you find it hard to grow
Well I know, I know, I know
And you tell me that you've many seeds to sow
Well I know, I know, I know
Can you hear what I'm saying
Can yuu see the parts that I'm playing
"Holy Man, Rocker Man, Come on Queenie,
Joker Man, Spider Man, Blue Eyed Meanie"
So you found your solution
What will be your last contribution?
"Live it up, rip it up, why so lazy?
Give it out, dish it out, let's go crazy,
Yeah!"


-Supertramp

...from Darryl Pearce / Ventura County, CA

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/19/2004 10:10 AM  

Rumsfeld or a paid proxy said earlier that he DID sign the letters personally.

This should show up in the Washington Post, by the way, almost any time now. As long as that time is after the year 2020. They'll call the column "2020 Hindsight" and it will run opposite the comics.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/20/2004 9:06 AM  

Bless Roger Waters !!!
I listen every single day to at least twenty minutes of his work, usually more. Over and over. He is too bright for us.
Thanks for quoting him.

By Blogger David, at 12/22/2004 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment