uggabugga





Wednesday, November 03, 2004

I should have known:

Quiddity here, breaking from the usual style and speaking in the first person. This post may alienate some readers for my political orientation (moderate with a liberal tilt), but honesty is the best policy.

I have an unusual record when it comes to voting for president. It is listed in the table below with (highly simplified) reasons for each choice.

year voted for reasons
1972 McGovern Vietnam War.
1976 Ford Thought he was a reasonable moderate.
1980 Carter Reagan too conservative.
1984 Mondale Reagan too conservative, deficits, defense budget.
1988 Dukakis Bush probably too conservative.
1992 Bush Started out as a Tsongas supporter.
Didn't trust Clinton.
Bush seemed moderate (raised taxes) and was a multilateralist (1st Iraq War).
1996 Dole Since the election wasn't going to be contested, voted for Dole because of his wry humor
(Since then, assessment of Dole has plummeted.)
2000 Gore Bush too conservative.
Republican control of Congress.
Supreme Court.
2004 Kerry Bush way too conservative, deficits, Iraq War.
Republican control of Congress.
Supreme Court.


Notice anything? Every time I've voted for president, I've voted for the person who came in second (in Electoral Votes). I'm assuming here that Ohio goes for Bush.

I must say that of all the elections I've participated in, this one struck me as the most important, and a defeat will be very disheartening.


4 comments

Check back in dude, there has been widespread disenfranchisement, intimidation and likely fraud. We do not even consider giving in before all of the votes have been counted.

It should not be too much to ask to count all of the votes. It should not be too much to allow everybody to vote once.

By Blogger granny, at 11/03/2004 2:41 AM  

Thanks for fighting the good fight. Keep it up.

I was raised in a pretty Republican household in Massachusetts, so I learned early how to be a contrarian. I've only voted for one winning presidential candidate (Clinton - twice!).

I used to be something of a moderate Republican, but never again. I'll stay Independent. And I agree with you on this election.

Laurie Mann
http://www.thefactsdomatter.com

By Blogger Laurie Mann, at 11/03/2004 3:15 AM  

Kinda makes me wish you'd voted for Bush.

By Blogger Linus, at 11/03/2004 3:51 AM  

Let us know when you decide who to vote for next time.

By Blogger Zappatero, at 11/06/2004 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment