uggabugga





Monday, May 31, 2004

Christianity:

On JUDY WOODRUFF'S INSIDE POLITICS for May 26, there was a discussion by "regular folks" in Pennsylvania about Bush's speech at the Army War College. Woodruff interviewed three Democrats and three Republicans. The views of two Republicans were of interest. Here is a part of the exchange: (emphasis added)
THERES ALFANO, REPUBLICAN: For the past couple of years, we've had to worry about the war as well as the economy. So I think the economy kind of took a downslide. But I think now it's coming up in good ways. Also, one of the reasons why I voted for him is that I feel that he can possibly bring more Christianity, put God possibly even back in the schools eventually. I mean things can happen.

WOODRUFF: I want to -- I do want to stick to this point about Christianity and, Jim, come to you on that. Is that something that makes you more comfortable or less with President Bush or is that even a factor for you in your voting?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It's a factor. I think that he's -- I think that he wears his Christianity on his sleeve a little too much. I think he in some sense has made this kind of a holy war, a Christian against those people, the Muslims.

WOODRUFF: Glenda, what about for you? You brought that up as a reason. Is the fact that the president talks about his faith as Jim mentioned, what reaction do you have to that?

GLENDA LENTZ, REPUBLICAN: That's wonderful to me. That's wonderful. The fact that a president does look to a higher power, prays to God, looks to God for guidance. As a Christian I do that every day in my life.
You can be sure that no amount of politicking will get those two to vote for Kerry. Religion will trump policy every time.


0 comments

Post a Comment