What we are likely to see - eventually:
We listened to Ian Master's Background Briefing
radio program today, and one of the guests was Ray McGovern, a twenty-seven year career analyst for the CIA and a co-founder of Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity. In a discussion on the WMD issue, the focus shifted to what George Tenet knows - and if that knowledge is what's keeping Bush from firing him. McGovern thought it might be the contents of the 6 August 2001 Presidential Daily Briefing. From what McGovern said - plus some additional Google-related searching (Sunday Herald
), we think it looked something like this:
6 August 2001
Presidential Daily Briefing
Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S.
- An attack inside the United States is being planned by Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda.
- The Saudi-born terrorist hopes to 'bring the fight to America' in retaliation for missile strikes on al-Qaeda camps in Afghanistan in 1998.
- British Intelligence says:
- That in 1998 al-Qaeda operatives discussed hijacking a plane to negotiate the release of Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman (the Muslim cleric imprisoned in America for his part in a plot to blow up the World Trade Centre in 1993).
- The United States should expect multiple hijacking of aircraft.
- We know there has been flight training by Muslim students.
- We believe there are al-Qaeda cells currently in the United States.
You know how the game is played. Even though we have a pretty good idea of the situation, until the actual piece of paper is released, there won't be a scandal.
But it will be