uggabugga





Sunday, May 04, 2003

Isiah or Jesus?

Bush quoted from the bible when he made his speech on the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln. While the words were from Isiah 61:1, we note that they were also spoken by Jesus (when he was reading from Isiah). Christians "in the know", would appreciate this - especially since it is used by Jesus to justify his own status as a savior. Also, for some Christians, the words spoken by Jesus are held in special regard and there are editions of the bible, red-letter versions, where the words attributed to Jesus are printed in red.

Bush Speech In the words of the prophet Isaiah, "To the captives, 'come out,' -- and to those in darkness, 'be free.'"
  ISIAH 61:1
New Revised Standard Version: The spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me; he has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed, to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and release to the prisoners;
King James The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
New International Version The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners
Today's English Version (aka Good News) The Sovereign Lord has filled me with his Spirit. He has chosen me and sent me To bring good news to the poor, To heal the broken-hearted, To announce release to captives And freedom to those in prison.
  Jesus speaking in LUKE 4:18

Background: Jesus has just spent 40 days in the wilderness, tempted by Satan.

"Then Jesus returned to Galilee, and the power of the Holy Spirit was with him. The news about him spread throughout all that territory. He taught in the synagogues and was praised by everyone. Then Jesus went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath he went as usual to the synagogue. He stood up to read the Scriptures and was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it is written, " - (Today's English Version aka Good News)

New Revised Standard Version "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free,
King James "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
New International Version "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed,
Today's English Version (aka Good News) "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has chosen me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free the oppressed
  "Jesus rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. All the people in the synagogue had their eyes fixed on him, as he said to them, "This passage of scripture has come true today, as you heard it being read." They were all well impressed with him and marveled at the eloquent words that he spoke." - (Today's English Version aka Good News)



0 comments

Post a Comment