uggabugga





Saturday, December 07, 2002

Speaking through gritted teeth?

These are the entire statements:

Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill:
"I hereby resign my position as secretary of the treasury. It has been a privilege to serve the nation during these challenging times. I thank you for that opportunity."
A privilege to serve the nation, but no mention of a privilege to serve the President.

President George W. Bush:
"My economic team has worked with me to craft and implement an economic agenda that helped to lead the Nation out of recession and back into a period of growth. I appreciate Paul O'Neill's and Larry Lindsey's important contributions to making this happen. Both are highly talented and dedicated, and they have served my Administration and our Nation well. I thank them for their excellent service."
NOTE: In the Washington Post article, they quote Bush, but omit the 2nd and 4th sentences without designating it with ellipses. So all one reads is:
"My economic team has worked with me to craft and implement an economic agenda that helped to lead the nation out of recession and back into a period of growth. Both are highly talented and dedicated, and they have served my administration and our nation well."
Isn't that considered bad journalism?


0 comments

Post a Comment