There is a bit of a buzz being generated about the following remarks
- Pat Robertson: "Adolf Hitler was bad, but what the Muslims want to do to the Jews is worse." .
- Jerry Falwell: The prophet Mohammed was "a terrorist".
- Jimmy Swaggart: Said that Mohammed is a "sex deviant" and a pervert and demanding that Muslim students in the US be expelled.
The response from the administration?
- Secretary Powell: "This kind of hatred must be rejected."
- President Bush: "Some of the comments that have been uttered about Islam do not reflect the sentiments of my government or the sentiments of most Americans. Islam, as practiced by the vast majority of people, is a peaceful religion, a religion that respects others."
Not really. No person or group was called out by name. Reuters headlined their story
: Bush Takes on Christian Right Over Anti-Islam Words
. But how do we know that? Maybe Bush was upset with comments by (recently deceased) Jewish activist Irv Rubin.
We'll believe Bush has a backbone when he chastises prominent members of the religious right by name