uggabugga





Thursday, September 26, 2002

The President speaks:

From the Q&A when Bush was with the Colombian President:
Terry Moran. Q: Mr. President, are you politicizing the war? Do you think Americans should base their vote in November in part on where a candidate stands on the war?

PRESIDENT BUSH: I think the American people ought to understand that life has changed here in this country; that it used to be two oceans would separate us from danger, that we were quite comfortable in our shores knowing that it would take an unusual circumstance to be attacked. After September the 11th, we were attacked, and the American people understand that this country must deal with the true threats.

I am as determined today as I was on September the 11th to pursue an enemy which still wants to hurt America. I am absolutely determined to make sure that 10 years from now we don't look back and say, what happened, why did America go soft, why did we ignore true threats that face our people?

And I hope the American people understand that. I was concerned, of course, after September the 11th, that as time went by, some might forget, some might forget the true threats. Of course, I'm reminded of that every day when I come here to the Oval Office that we face true threats. And, Terry, my job is to protect the American people. It's my most important job, most important assignment I have. And I will continue to do that, regardless of the season.


Q: So it's a legitimate political issue?

PRESIDENT BUSH: Legitimate national security concern is what it is. You may try to politicize it. I view it as my main obligation; that is to protect the American people. It's the most important job this President will have, and it's the most important job future Presidents will have, because the nature of war has changed.
We note the following:
  • Bush is right, it used to be two oceans separating the U.S. from danger, up until about 1970.
  • What's this true threats business?
  • Good to know that Bush will continue to protect the American people, regardless of the season.
  • And apparently protecting the American people wasn't going to be the most important job for future presidents until the nature of war changed (on Sept. 11)
  • Crazy.



    0 comments

    Post a Comment